Confirmed: Varsity Football back at Craven Cottage

After four years in the wilderness, the 2014 Varsity football match will return to its some-time home at Fulham’s 26,000-seater stadium, bringing Premiership glamour back to the historic game on its 130th anniversary.

Prestige and quaint old-style turnstiles, those famouse for featuring the in Match of the Day opening credits, are not all that Craven Cottage has to offer, however. The Varsity football match will take place on Sunday 6th April – the same day as the Varsity Boat Race – with the Cottage’s Thames-side location meaning football fans will simply be able to step out onto the banks of the river to watch the boat race itself.

Confirmation of the arrangement has been greeted enthusiastically by those involved. Ben Szreter, OUAFC Treasurer and goalkeeper, revealed, “OUAFC are delighted to have the Varsity match back at Craven Cottage. The committee, Cambridge and Fulham FC have been working very hard to make this happen and it should be a great occasion, particularly with the boat race on the same day”. Fan reactions to the news, meanwhile, have been rapturous. James Lawrence, fresher at Downing College and diehard CUAFC fan, claims to be “excited”, whilst insightfully predicting “a game of two halves”.

Kick off for this unmissable occasion is at 3pm on Sunday 6th April, and tickets can be purchased for just £15, which also entitles you in true footballing fashion to a pie or burger and a drink. Tickets are available online, or on 0843 208 1234 (option 3). For those of you who fancy being a club VIP, a number of hospitality packages are also available. This promises to be a great day out, as Oxford look to bounce back from their 3-2 defeat in last year’s tight encounter – with river-side seats for the boat race thrown in, you’ll be hard pressed to find a better day of Varsity sporting action.