JCRs campaign to fly rainbow flag

JCRs across Oxford are campaigning for the right to fly the rainbow flag from their college flagpole to mark LGBTQ history month.

Some colleges already fly the flag, but others, including Brasenose, have refused requests from JCRs on the grounds that flying one flag would lead to increased demand for the college to express outward support for further causes.

Students at Brasenose protested last week against the decision made by their governing body by flying 50 rainbow flags in prominent areas of the college.

Henry Zeffman, JCR President, said, “I am really pleased that so many Brasenose students are showing how proud we are to be a tolerant and diverse community. The college decided against flying the LGBTQ flag from the college flagpole, and we are showing that we disagree with their decision in a respectful, peaceful and uplifting way. I hope that one day Brasenose will join the many colleges that have flown the LGBTQ flag from their flagpoles.”

Brasenose students have responded positively to the initiative. James Blythe, who seconded the motion, said, “I’m absolutely delighted to see so many Brasenose students showing solidarity with the LGBTQ community, and I hope this will mean that next year, the college will be willing to fly the flag.”

Christ Church College has also refused to fly the flag, and JCR members will be demonstrating in a similar way. “We’re planning on flying flags from room windows again this year on the last day of February to celebrate LGBT History Month, joining a number of other colleges who are also planning on flying the flag on that date (albeit from their college flagpoles). So far we have had an overwhelmingly positive response from the JCR,” said Rachel McCafferty, LGBTQ Welfare Officer for Christ Church.

Wadham College was the first to celebrate LGBTQ history month in this way three years ago, and since then at least 10 colleges have followed suit.

Magdalen College is known to be involved in negotiations with its governing body over this issue, while New College JCR passed a motion last Sunday by 33 votes to one in favour of flying the flag for the third year in a row. The member who opposed the motion was contacted, but declined to comment.

St. Anne’s College will be flying the flag for the first time after permission was granted last year. Christina Toenshoff, JCR President, said,”I’m happy to be able to say that we are allowed to fly the rainbow flag for the first time this year and I wish Brasenose JCR all the best in its protests.

“We have a very big LGBTQ community in our college and I feel like flying the rainbow flag during LGBTQ history month is a great way of showing that St Anne’s supports and fully accepts this community, especially in times where LGBTQ rights are not respected in other parts of the world.”

The reactions of JCRs have been well-received by Oxford’s LGBTQ community. Ashley Francis-Roy, president of the Oxford University LGBTQ Society, said, “The LGBTQ society is delighted that so many colleges will be flying the LGBTQ flag. By flying the LGBTQ flag from the college flagpole colleges can make a bold statement. For prospective students this statement will show that a particular College is welcoming and accepting and consequently such a gesture is significant for ensuring that the best students apply and are not put off by any uncertainties or fears.

Given the huge presence of international students, especially at the graduate level, it will be particularly appreciated by LGBTQ students from those countries were people are still discriminated on the basis of their sexual orientation and/ or gender identity.

Flying the flag does not make a statement about any particular issues but more generally show a commitment to diversity and acceptance. We all have a responsibility to ensure that our college is an accepting place for all and to contribute to an environment that enables people to fully express themselves. Such an environment can only be beneficial for the college’s desire to achieve true academic excellence.”

This February is LGBTQ history month. Oxford University Amnesty International marked the first day of the month with a series of protests outside the Radcliffe Camera against the poor LGBTQ rights record of Vladimir Putin. Partipants were photographed writing messages to Putin, ranging from “Roses are red, violets are blue, LGBT rights are human rights too” to “My gay sister’s partner is giving brith today – f**k you, Putin”.