Derby, not Forest, threaten a return to the big time

The East Midlands derby is perhaps one of the lesser known of the great football rivalries. Although geographic proximity gives rise to the rivalry (the two clubs are separated by 15 miles), this has grown more intense in recent history. In 1972, Derby were crowned league champions for the first time in their history under the guise of Brian Clough. Just eight years later, Clough would take local rivals Nottingham Forest to successive European Cup titles. Commentators have suggested the rivalry owes as much to who owns Clough’s heart. Since 2007, Derby and Nottingham Forest have contested the Brian Clough Trophy.

Since Clough, a number of figures have crossed the divide of the A52 (Brian Clough Way), which has added fuel to the fire of animosity in recent seasons. In 2009, Kris Commons completed a 3-2 comeback to provide Derby’s first away win in 30 years against his former club. The infamous Robbie Savage rubbed salt into the wounds by waving a black and white scarf in the post-match celebrations. The following season, Forest striker Nathan Tyson possessed Savage-like antics after a Forest victory, celebrating with the corner flag directly in front of the Derby away contingent. A 25-man brawl ensued, one of many in the current period, which has seen five red cards in six meetings. (Note, Tyson signed for Derby the following season).

Managerial appointments have enriched the intensity further. Nigel Clough, son of Brian, and legendary Forest striker (second highest goalscorer in their history) became manager of Derby in 2009 to the dismay of Forest supporters. One of his first victories would be the 3-2 away win at The City Ground. Clough – who once refused to even mention ‘the club up the A52’, – was accused of ‘kneeing’ the Forest manager in a scuffle and was eventually sacked earlier this season – after Derby lost away at, you’ve guessed it, Forest.

The newest ex-Nottingham Forest manager Billy Davies guided Derby to the Premier League in 2007 and certain comments in recent years have made him somewhat ‘loathed’ or even hated by Derby supporters. Forest came into the fixture with no wins in seven and play-off aspirations looking ever slimmer. Derby, buoyed under by the recent appointment of Steve McClaren (guess what, a former Forest manager) had seen their hopes of automatic promotion slip with no wins in four. Hence, this was a derby which had major implications in the race for a Premiership spot.

Live on Sky, Forest had barely arrived at Derby’s iPro Stadium (formerly Pride Park) before falling to an early goal by Craig Bryson after just 5 minutes. Despite gaining significant possession, Forest failed to produce any clear-cut chances. Derby then produced two well-worked goals in quick succession to go 3-0 up at half time and make the game all but safe.

After the interval, Derby continued with the pressure, which the visitors failed to cope with. Johnny Russell rifled in a spectacular 25-yard strike, whilst Bryson slotted home a late penalty to equal the record 5-0 victory set back in 1898 and claim the first league hat-trick scored by a Derby player against Forest since Steve Bloomer in the same fixture.

Forest manager Billy Davies was dismissed from his second spell with the club on Monday following the defeat – part of a new trend, given Nigel Clough’s sacking earlier this season after the corresponding fixture. Derby supporters have reclaimed local pride and bragging rights, not to mention the Brian Clough trophy. There were no red cards, but Monday morning will have seen red-faced and ‘sheepish’ Forest supporters facing the ‘office banter’ from Derby-supporting colleagues. I wonder what Brian Clough would make of all of this…. Famously he once said, “If a chairman sacks the manager he initially appointed, he should go as well.”