University to update harassment policy following OUSU talks

The University has confirmed that it will be updating its policy on harassment and bullying following talks with Sarah Pine, OUSU’s Vice-President for Women and the It Happens Here campaign.

The policy, expected to be finished by the end of Michaelmas, will include a number of suggestions made by OUSU. A draft policy has been amended to include sexual violence and stalking, online harassment and clarification of the university’s role when harassment and bullying cases are criminal.

Under the new policy, a support office will be set up in the Student Welfare and Support Services building, and specially-trained harassment advisors will offer support.

Sarah Pine told Cherwell, “The university are also really committed to the communication of the positive steps. Few plans on this have been finalised, but I will be lobbying for a system much like those used in the US, where there is a portal for all of this information online.

Pine continued, “We’ll also be including this information in the consent workshops, so JCRs and MCRs that have the workshops have the information highlighted again.

“The specialist training that harassment advisors will have is another big win for the VP for Women over the past couple of years. The training comes from an expert, Liz Jones, from Oxford City Council. It enables advisors to be aware of the issues and ways that they should support students through various different possible scenarios. Additionally, OUSU has pushed that this training is available to front-line staff, so those who might be first responders (like porters, chaplains etc) are also aware of what to do.”

Professor Sally Mapstone, the Pro-Vice Chancellor for Education at the University, said in a note to the It Happens Here committee, “The harassment procedure for students details the stages (informal, through to formal complaint) of the process, with a focus on ensuring support for students via the Director of Student Welfare and Support Services.

“This provides clarity for students as to where they should go for advice, both professional (via the Counselling service within SWSS) but also practical support. The procedure will also provide links to appropriate sources including harassment advisors, local welfare representatives and the OUSU Student Advice Service.”

Sarah Pine also clarified that this step will allay several of OUSU’s concerns about the University’s processes commenting, “This is a great move forward. OUSU has had concerns in the past about people speaking to harassment advisors and their responses harming students.

“This has been combined with me running sexual violence training sessions for students, so those in JCR and MCR committees know what to do. This was focused on JCR and MCR officers, but is open to anyone, and if anyone wants to come to one, they should email me at [email protected].

A University spokesman told Cherwell, “Harassment of any kind is unacceptable at Oxford, and when such incidents do occur, our culture is one of strong support for victims, including guidance and advice on making complaints. The University is continually considering how best to provide staff and students with relevant and sensitive advice and support. A review of the University’s harassment policy and procedures is nearing completion. The revised policy will make more explicit its inclusion of all forms of unacceptable behaviour, including sexual violence, assault and stalking. The revised procedure will give greater clarity about the sources of professional support available to victims. As is the case now, students will be encouraged to report allegations which are a criminal matter to the police.

“The University is working closely with Oxford University Student Union (OUSU), both on the development of the new policy and procedure and how best to communicate it to the wider student body once approved. We are grateful to OUSU for their work in researching student concerns about this issue.”