‘Access’ tour for Radley students

University College JCR has unanimously passed an emergency motion condemning an “access” event, which welcomed Radley College students to University College.

Michael Slade, who proposed the motion, condemned the decision of the College to host a “very expensive public school that represents privilege” to an access event, calling it “indefensible.” Rose Lynch, who seconded the motion, argued that “it is sending bad message by being presented as access work.” 

It was alleged at the debate that the College paid for a member of staff to give a talk to the Radley College students and a tour by a University College ambassador, with a complementary lunch. Slade stated to the JCR that while Radley students “should be able to look around,” it seems “silly College should spend money helping to perpetuate their privilege.” 

Radley College is a boys’ independent boarding school in Oxfordshire, which currently charges fees of £11,475 per term. 15 of its pupils received Oxbridge offers in 2015, down from 16 in 2014. Among its notable alumni are ex-Poet Laureate Andrew Motion, and former England Cricket Captain Andrew Strauss.

Oxford Univeristy’s website states that it delivers over 3,000 access events per year, spending over £5.6m per year in the process. The website claims, “We recognise that some groups of students will require different types of support when preparing to apply to Oxford, and our programme of UK and international outreach work reflects this.”

A St Hilda’s first-year student told Cherwell, ‘‘This is a scarcely believable incident. I mean you have to seriously ask yourself, if a place like Radley College is getting help with access, who on earth doesn’t need it? I think we all know this is absurd.’’

Radley College has been contacted for comment.