Students march to protest Donald Trump

Oxford students have organised a march protesting Donald Trump’s candidacy for President of the United States.

The event hopes to “let the world know our thoughts on Donald Trump, in a *peaceful* but *vocal* way”, calling him “an influential individual that is using his platform to inculcate bigotry, xenophobia, and violence”, according to the march’s Facebook page.

Already, there is a split on whether this event is a good idea, with some students commenting that they would definitely attend and supported the march. One commenter, however, finds it offensive for British students to attempt to affect an American election.

“This is a terrible idea”, St. Hilda’s Biological Scientist David Pearson wrote. “Who are we to tell citizens of another democratic state who they should vote for, or to pass judgement on their politicians? No matter how bigoted we might think Donald Trump is, he has every right to say what he thinks, that is democracy.”

This event follows some vocal criticism from all levels of British society, culminating in a debate in the House of Commons on whether to ban Donald Trump from entering the United Kingdom, a motion which ultimately failed.

The march will take place on May 1 at noon, and several hundred students have already expressed interest in attending.