Brasenose JCR wants honorary membership for Vardy

Members of the college have proposed a motion to name the footballer Ball President

Daniel Kodsi
Daniel Kodsi
Hi, I am Chairman of OSPL, Cherwell's publishing house. I was editor during Michaelmas 2016. I read Philosophy, Politics and Economics (PPE) at Balliol College and can be reached at [email protected]

Brasenose JCR will debate a motion granting Leicester City footballer Jamie Vardy honorary membership and encouraging him to run for Ball President.

The motion, to be debated at a general meeting on Sunday, states, “Jamie is the man who climbed the ladder from non-league football to the Premier League, is now currently the league’s top scorer and on current form is the most dangerous player around. His pace gives defenders nightmares and he is pulling goals and assists out of his backside.”

It further notes that “Vardy has scored more Premier League goals this season than Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi combined.”

The motion follows Leicester’s clinching of the 2015/16 Premier League title last Monday, after rivals Tottenham drew at Chelsea.

Unsurprisingly, many support the motion, with one second year classicist at Brasenose telling Cherwell, “I think that the real clincher in my decision was the fact that Jamie Vardy really does love to throw a party. He would make a great Ball President.”

Support student journalism

Student journalism does not come cheap. Now, more than ever, we need your support.