Oxford win men’s football Varsity

Oxford won the match 3-0 after a dominating attacking performance

Oxford men’s team put in a dominant display to win the 2018 men’s football Varsity match 3-0.

This is fourth win in a row for Oxford against Cambridge in the Varsity match, which was played in Barnet FC’s stadium The Hive.

The Dark Blues entered the match slight favourites after a good run of form in the Bucs league.

Oxford started the game well and pressed the Cambridge defence on a number of occasions. The break through came from fan favourite Dominic Thelen who converted in the 24th minute after a long period of passing play from the dark blues.

A second goal quickly followed, with wing-back Leo Ackerman scoring after a clever solo run in the 31st minute. Ackerman slightly skewed his shot but it squirmed under the Cambridge goalkeeper and nestled in the bottom left corner.

Oxford went into the break dominating the game after some wasteful attacking moves from the Light Blues.

Both teams made subs coming into the second half, and Cambridge looked like they may be able to get one back.

But Thelen settled the match with his second of the afternoon in the 77th minute. His clever chip over the Cambridge keeper’s head followed a well-rehearsed bit of play from the Dark Blues.

Dom Thelen scored two to take the game away from the Light Blues.

Thelen, who has been Oxford’s star of the season, performed strongly throughout and was awarded man of the match.

The match was the first of a double-header Varsity which will see the Oxford women’s Blues team play Cambridge later in the afternoon.

Oxford’s coach, Mickey Lewis, told Cherwell: “It’s great to win the Varsity game, it was a really enjoyable occasion. The occasion of coming to a football league ground is great, but when you step over the line it is all about the game and its nice to get a win.”

Lewis, speaking about man of the match Dom Thelen, said: “Dom is a good footballer and he always has a goal in him. He scored two really well taken goals today. As a footballer, he could still carry on playing and play at a non league. He has a lot of ability but today was a real team effort.”

“The team are now off to America for ten days and some of the boys have a lot of studying to do. But it’s been a good season and we will restart again soon.”