Oxford SU given award for work on democracy

The Oxford Student Union has been awarded an NUS Quality Student Award following a two-day assessment.

The Awards are an annual celebration of the work which Union’s undertake each day.

A representative from the National Union of Students (NUS) and an independent assessor visited the Oxford to review twelve elements of the SU, including leadership, engagement, and government.

The Quality Assessment Team decided to give the Oxford SU with a ‘good’ Quality Students’ Union and an award for their work over the past year, especially their “ground breaking work on Democracy”.

Meeting with Oxford SU staff, University Staff, and students, the panel was impressed by the work on Student Council, and the clear and easy Governance.

The creation of Projects, which enable students to deliver real change in a number of individual areas, also impressed the assessors.

Student Projects allow students to start their own projects which matter to them. The SU helps students to kick start their projects by piecing together a project proposal document with a budget and plan. Support from the Student Engagement staff team continues throughout the process.

Ryan Bird, CEO, at Oxford SU said: “I am so proud of what we have achieved so far this year, with the support of the SU staff team, students and volunteers. I am grateful for their continued hard work. The SU has built a reputation of providing strong services to our students and is committed to ensuring all students have a voice on issues that matter to them.”

“We will continue to strive to reach and engage more students in our life-changing work, from campaigning on access to education to improving access to libraries for students with disabilities to helping tackle climate change.”