Oxford City Council has decided to extend Broad Meadow until the 10th of October. The meadow was officially opened on the 1st of July and has served as a pedestrian-friendly outdoor space for residents and visitors to enjoy throughout the summer. Now, with Broad Meadow remaining on Broad Street into the autumn, students will get a chance to enjoy the space. 

The Council says that the project fulfilled its intention of promoting safe use of the city centre while supporting Oxford’s economic recovery. 

With the extension in place, the annual Arts Market will be hosted in the Meadow on the 2nd and 3rd of October, serving as one of the Council’s proposed community and arts events that the Meadow was intended to host. 

A consultation questionnaire is available on the Council’s ‘Citizen Space consultation portal,’ which has provided visitors to the Meadow the chance to “comment on the scheme and shape plans to create an outdoor public space on the whole of Broad Street on a permanent basis.” Students are also able to give their feedback on the Meadow as they return to the city for Michaelmas term.

The Council’s announcement of the extension coincides with World Car Free Day, which encourages people to opt for walking, cycling, or using public transport instead of driving. 

Councillor Tom Hayes commented “World Car Free Day is an opportunity to enjoy people-friendly streets and what better day is there to also announce the continuation of Broad Meadow? The wildflower meadow has given us a vision of what pedestrianisation of Broad Street could look like, and this Council is committed to bringing about the pedestrianisation of this street and others. As a listening council, we want to hear from the whole of Oxford, so please do share your views.”

Image: Pierce Jones