Oxford tops worldwide university rankings

The University of Oxford has placed first in the 2024 Times Higher Education (THE) University Rankings. This is the eighth consecutive year THE has named Oxford the best university in the world – the last university besides Oxford to top the charts was the California Institute of Technology in 2016.

In second and third place this year were Stanford University and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology. The next UK universities on the list were the University of Cambridge, which placed fifth, and Imperial College London, which placed eighth. Apart from these three British universities, the top ten positions were exclusively occupied by American institutions. 

The Times Higher Education rankings come just weeks after The Sunday Times and The Times “Good University Rankings” (UK only), in which Oxford placed second behind St Andrew’s. 

The Vice-Chancellor of Oxford welcomed the release of THE’s rankings, writing: “I am absolutely thrilled Oxford has been once again named the top university in the world. Eight years of leading the Times Higher Education world rankings is a testament to the impactful research we conduct that tackles some of the grand challenges facing people and the planet as well as the exceptional standards of teaching we deliver that will continue to inspire generations to come. 

“I am filled with admiration for my colleagues and gratitude for all their efforts that propel this unique institution forwards.”

In response to the rankings, one third-year undergraduate student at St. Hugh’s indicated that he had expected Oxford to place first. He told Cherwell, “It’s nice to know that we’re still the best, though hardly surprising given that we’ve held that position for the last seven years.”