The ultimate guide to May Morning

Dating back over five hundred years, May Day celebrations (traditionally) present an opportunity to herald in the arrival of spring. Whilst the tradition is now used as a clever marketing tool by nightclubs to get you dancing to even more cheesy ABBA tunes than usual, the historic element still welcomes in thousands of people from across the city and beyond.

For the clubbers amongst you, as always, options are plenty. With the clubs open for longer, May Day means starting the evening much later – a wise choice if you wish to survive the night to come. Closing times are around five am, giving you the chance to slowly make your way towards the location of the age-old tradition: Magdalen Bridge. As an alternative to the dancefloor, you could set out to conquer an in-college all-nighter with friends – maybe a movie marathon – before heading down to to cross paths with the club-goers.

In either case, as you reach the bridge, eyes occasionally flickering as fatigue sets in, you’ll encounter a wide variety of celebrations. Whether it is moving your sleep-driven body to the rhythms of samba music, or watching the Morris dancers shake their bells in accordance with age-old routines, the High Street is a spectacle for the weird, wonderful and everything in between. Following your arrival, you will await 6am, when Magdalen College Choir will be heard singing hymns for all to hear. After this is completed, you will have tackled the challenge that is surviving May Day. 

And for those who woke up for the occasion, you can treat your adherence to an early start with a breakfast or coffee in the surrounding cafes, who purposefully open to welcome in the celebrants. Whilst you still probably won’t sleep as long as usual in this instance, it can be a wholesome way to enjoy the event and escape the hangover. 

Importantly, for those choosing to sack off sleep for the sambuca, know your limits. Whilst there’s a high chance that will.i.am will try and convince you that ‘tonight’s gonna be a good night’ in the depths of ATIK’s main room, surviving May Day is no mean feat. Make sure to recognise when you need that glass of water from the bar, so that the night remains as good as possible for as long as possible. On a similar note, devise your May Day plans around what works for you. While May Day celebrations can be incredibly enjoyable, facing the dancefloor is not everyone’s idea of fun, and even if it is, five hours will strongly challenge even the hard-core clubbers.

Whether you choose to celebrate with a five hour clubbing session or a night in, followed by an early wake, is up to you – but, at its heart, May Day offers a unique opportunity to embrace another one of the many Oxford traditions.