Editorial: Do we need drugs to switch on?

Mediocre individuals have never been attracted to Oxford, nor is it a place that nurtures mediocrity. In fact, it is despised. The atmosphere is inescapably intense and the thought of being described as ‘average’ fills many students with a sinking dread and an urgent need for self re-evaluation.

But what is it that drives students? An 8-hour day in the library or lectures, followed by an extra-curricular drama or sport, and then a night with friends, whether in the pub or Park End. Sleep (sometimes). Repeat. We don’t stroll between one activity and the next but hurl ourselves irrespectively. And yes, most of the time it’s fun, and there’s definitely a strong argument that we wouldn’t do it if we didn’t find it exhilarating. But its far too easy to get caught up in a cycle of higher expectations. There just aren’t enough hours in the week to fit everything in, but as Oxford students, we’ll try.

Mephedrone’s described as an easy switch. A way to instantly pick yourself up and flick between exhausted at 9pm and ready to go at 10. No effort required. But why are more and more finding that increasingly they need something to, effectively, flick this switch for them? And to flick it quite so aggressively? Mephedrone as a student drug of choice is hardly limited to Oxford, but here it seems to be required by many, rather than simply as a casual party aid. It’s become somewhat elementary, made all the more ambiguous by unclear legal restrictions and imprecise health concerns. Increasingly, mephedrone’s seen as an easier way to party; you’ll reliably be commandingly confident and continue to ‘have it all’. Just like we’re supposed to.

The notion of ‘a healthy body and a healthy mind’ certainly has scientific credence, yet is there not something highly amusing about the lengths and sacrifices we’re willing to entertain to ensure this ‘balance’.

Escapes and distractions from work are undoubtedly necessary to keep one sane, noted particularly as Finalists are starting to enter libraries not to be seen for the next four months. But when students are switching from drugs such as modafinol to enable them to stay awake and study for days (literally) on end, then exchanging this for something such as mephedrone to ensure they can party as hard as everyone else, there is something sincerely amiss.

Mephedrone may be the flavour of this term or year, but once it’s illegalised or too difficult to get hold of, something new and unknown will take its place. Individual’s disregard for their long-term health demonstrates that this is a systemic problem that certainly can’t be blown away by updated health advice. The larger question is why students willingly jeopardise themselves rather than slowing down, if even just a little. Questions, however, are far easier to pose than find solutions.

Health risks (largely unknown, which is possibly more concerning), and legal technicalities aside, why do we bring this upon ourselves? And do we really want to change the intense lifestyles that it prompts?

See Cherwell’s investigation into drug use in Oxford: http://www.cherwell.org/content/9568