Something to watch

In an age where hardly a day goes by without some mention of violence, bombing, and terror in the news, fear and a constant sense of anticipation has gripped the world. It is exactly this uncertainty of what our future holds that lets every member of the audience relate to Frank McGuinness’ Someone Who’ll Watch Over Me.

The play, set in a Lebanese prison cell in the late 20th century, features three hostages: Michael (Sam Smith) an English university lecturer transformed by the death of his wife; Edward (David Egan) an Irish journalist torn from his family; and Adam (Jacob Lloyd) an American military doctor removed from his fiancée.

Their nationalities strongly shape their respective characters, which allows a clash not only between characters, but also creates an internal conflict as each man begins to question their own identity. From reading the Qur’an to singing Irish folksongs and American hymns, each character’s individuality is repeatedly underlined.

Being drawn into the cell itself, one is constantly exposed to the drastic ups and downs, moments of outrage and violence followed by eerie calm, desperation followed by ecstatic ‘parties’ and extravagance of their daily lives.

Each of the three well-cast characters has been meticulously polished; involving the audience from the moment the first word is spoken. Though the set and lighting remain constant throughout the play, director Roland Singer-Kinsmith’s rendition successfully highlights the juxtaposition of light and dark; of sanity and insanity. Ironically, the audience is left to contemplate that ultimately, we may not be so different after all.

Four Stars