No.9 barmen go topless for the ladies

No 9 nightclub has just announced that it will be launching a new ladies night every Thursday with drinks served by topless male bartenders.

On Thursday nights between 9pm and 3am male bartenders will serve tables wearing only their underwear.

The High Street venue, formally known as Escape, will become the first nightclub in Oxford to host such a night.

Steve Fontaine, the director of No.9,  has described the night as “just a bit of fun.”

Fontaine told the Oxford Mail “It’s certainly not a lapdancing club and it won’t be tacky. All of our male barman will wear just their underwear on Thursday nights because we want to create a relaxed environment where women can go and enjoy themselves. There have always been places where women have worked topless for male audiences. Why shouldn’t there be a similar place for women?”

Although No.9 was recently taken up by Varsity Events for their Saturday night slot, this

topless night does not look set to become an official student night.

However, when asked for their opinion, some female Oxford students displayed positive reactions to the event and suggested that it may become popular. One anonymous Univ student said ‘phwoar…topless barmen…that’s way better than Bridge.’

While Thirst Lodge recently had its licence for sexual entertainment revoked, the council has confirmed that No 9 will not need a licence for this new night.