A view from the cheap seat

As I stub my cigarette into the ash tray at the King’s Arms, I set alight the corner of these notes from a bygone student producer.:

Tuesday 4th Week Michaelmas

List for producing Hamlet without the character of Hamlet:

Finance – BORING

Auditions – basically whack out some texts to some mates. FACEBOOK EVENT.

Marketing – that auditions page is going to need a saucy little banner.

Find people to do lighting and sound – query whether our production is even going to need lights and sound. We don’t need a Hamlet, so do we need lights and sound and all that stuff?

Set design – As the producer, I am going to broach the subject of, what I will term, ‘ironically basic’. We do nothing with the set. We spend NO money on it, as sort of an ironic statement on the ridiculously lavish productions which have been produced in Oxford. (Did any of you see The Architect? Or Jerusalem? Because I didn’t. But I heard the sets were pretty damn alright.)

Saturday, 4th Week, Michaelmas
Had a long Facebook chat with Mark, which involved really ramping up the use of kisses so I felt super drama-ish.

Apparently, we need lights. Apparently, we need sound. And apparently, we need a set and we do need a bloody skull (might have to clarify that actually). I am going to be honest here; I’m slightly regretting deciding to work with Mark, and all of his frankly unnecessarily stressful demands.

Oh, and he also noticed a flaw with my list. “We need to do a bid,” he whined at me through the emoji of a ‘large cat typing at a computer’. “Haha obvs,” I replied, with ‘large unicorn cat’ (really wishing I had put ‘large cat knocked out on the floor’ because Mark is being a bit of a dick).