Review: Gang Albanii – Królowie życia

Tearing up the Spotify Top 50 in Poland with a massive 10 per cent of the slots, this week I’m writing about Królowie zycia by the one and only, Gang Albanii. Haven’t heard of them? Well, neither had I until last Saturday. A quick Google search reveals two things: a) they have no English wiki page and there are no English language reviews of their album (making this a Cherwell exclusive I suppose) and b) that they are defined on rateyourmusic.com as falling under the genre of comedy rap.

Now, I have to confess, my Polish falls between sketchy and non-existent. Okay, so maybe it’s just non-existent. On that basis, I really can’t talk about the lyrics. However, I can safely say there is nothing comic about those filthy basslines. The underlying electro vibes fit well with the husky overtones of what I can only presume are unparalleled wordsmithery. Pushing the barriers of dubstep and grime, Albanii’s subject matter is possibly on the adult side, with songs like ‘Marihuana’ (banger) and ‘Napad na bank’ (Bank Robbery). Popek, one member of the group (who is actually quite famous and has collaborated with Big Narstie, JME, Krept and Konan etc) lives in London so with a bit of luck, maybe we’ll see them being dropped on another huge night at Cellar in the coming weeks. Regardless, get on Spotify and get listening.