Oxford and St Andrews Trade Vice-Chancellors

Professor Sally Mapstone, Oxford’s Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Education, has been announced as the next Principal and Vice-Chancellor at the University of St Andrews, a role she will begin in September 2016. She is replacing Professor Louise Richardson, who was in turn installed as Oxford’s new Vice-Chancellor in January. Mapstone will be the second female Principal in St Andrews’ history. 

Professor Mapstone took up the role of Pro-Vice-Chancellor in 2009, first for Personnel and Equality, then for Education in 2011. Since 1984, she has also been a fellow of St Hilda’s College, where her research focused on Older Scots literature, political literature and book history. She received her degrees from Wadham and St Cross colleges. 

Upon the announcement of the news, Professor Louise Richardson said, “I would like to thank Sally for the many invaluable contributions she has made to the University of Oxford over the years. As Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Education, she has been responsible for the University’s strategy and policies for teaching, learning, student support and admissions. 

“She has also led important efforts, both in this role and previously as Pro-Vice-Chancellor for Personnel and Equality, to diversify the student body and the curriculum. I wish Sally every success in St Andrews. It is a wonderful University and I hope that she will be as happy there as I was.”

OUSU President Becky Howe, VP Graduates Nick Cooper and VP Access and Academic Affairs, Cat Jones, said jointly to Cherwell, “We’re really excited to hear about Sally’s new role: we’ve worked with her on a lot of issues, and she’s been a key advocate for student voice. We’d like to thank her for her support: most recently, she’s supported us on securing lecture capture and pushing for prelims feedback.” 

Speaking to the University upon the release of the information, Professor Mapstone said, “I will be very sad to leave Oxford after so many years, but am thrilled to be taking up the role of Principal of St Andrews. The focus on quality in education and student experience at St Andrews, its commitment to outreach, and its emphasis on independent-minded research all speak strongly to my own values. I have known the University for many years as a scholar of Scottish culture, and it will be an honour to be part of building its future.”

The Chancellor of St Andrews, Lord Campbell of Pittenweem, also said, “I am delighted that we have been able to persuade Sally to graduate to St Andrews from Oxford! She is a scholar of considerable distinction and an inspired choice to lead St Andrews as it seeks to consolidate its place among the best universities in the world.”

Oxford University has stated that recruitment for Professor Mapstone’s successor will begin shortly.