Ruddigore: First Night Review

The first night performance of Ruddigore at the O’Reilly went off without a hitch as the cast sang and skipped their way to an appropriately ridiculous finale.

Thomas Wade and Alexandra Coghlan (as Sir Ruthven/Robin and Rose) led a highly talented cast, complimented by a select but polished orchestra, through the riotous two act romp to the obvious enjoyment of the audience. The singing was, of course, the highlight of the production – Wade and Coghlan were particularly strong, but Katherine Fairnhurst (as Dame Hannah) also gave a stellar vocal performance.

Acting highlights included Stephen McCarthy’s Sir Despard, with Michael Peyton Jones also performing well as the brothers’ deceased ancestor Sir Roderic. The most humorous moment of the evening had to be the scene between Sir Despard and Mad Margaret (Kate O’Connor); the pair’s comic timing was commendable.

With such a bare stage to work with the efforts of costume designer Rachel McGoff added a lot to the production. The colourful clothes added interest and intensified the humour – particularly the ingeniously-constructed plastic bag dress worn by O’Connor in her first scene. The decision to keep the ancestral statues onstage throughout Act Two was an effective design tool and the stillness of the actors, praiseworthy.

While Gilbert and Sullivan productions may not be to every theatregoer’s taste, this production shows how do it well and its entertainment value is not limited to those who are particularly interested in musicals. Director Rory Pelsue has managed to pull off a production which is musically accomplished, yet with mass appeal, and it is well worth watching in the next few days.

Four stars

Ruddigore is at the Keble O’Reilly until Saturday