London Calling – But Not Running On Dunkin’…

Having made several trips to London in the past few weeks, to visit family staying in the city and interview for summer jobs, I’ve had the opportunity to glimpse many of the billboards along the route from the windows of trains, buses, and cars alike. Passing the advertisements for restaurants and coffee shops galore, I lamented the fact that Britain does not run on Dunkin’.

“America runs on Dunkin’” is a slogan most of my compatriots would recognize in an instant. It’s the catchphrase of Dunkin’ Donuts, a coffee and doughnut chain found in the four corners of the United States and everywhere in between. There’s Starbucks, of course, and Seattle’s Best, Tim Hortons and Krispy Kreme. And many independent, quirky shops are serving the best bean of all, as they might in Oxford.

But none have a motto as catchy as Dunkin’ Donuts, which by this point in time sells much more than its name would indicate. When I first got to Britain, I was taken aback by the proliferation of so many franchises in such a small area in Oxford – Starbucks, Costa, Cafe Nero, Coffee Republic – without the slightest indication of the existence of a Dunkin’. I realized quickly, of course, that this should be the case – after all, it’s America in the aphorism.

Their coffee might not be superior, and I’m not a huge doughnut fan. But not having a Dunkin’ Donuts around is just a bit of a reminder that I’m a speaker of the American tongue, especially when mentioning it casually and ending up the receiver of confused glances. I understand completely – but as a shout out to everyone who’s been in the vicinity when I’ve begun a diatribe on the subject, here’s a suggestion. If you ever visit America, go to Dunkin’ Donuts. You too can be an American running on Dunkin’ for a day.