‘Tis the Season to Sparkle

Christmas truly is all around us: in the form of sparkles. And I’m not just talking about those glittery baubles shimmering under the lights of your Christmas tree. Everyone is doing sparkle this season. It started with the trends set by the autumn/winter collections, and, as always, the High Street followed suit, proceeding to dazzle shoppers everywhere with sequins, crystals, and embellishments galore. Fear not, dedicated follower of fashion, you may don your oversized jewel-encrusted brooch with pride! That’s right ladies and gentlemen: bling is in.

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%6513%%[/mm-hide-text]

Photograph: Vogue UK

During holiday season the phrase ‘OTT’ usually goes out the window: nothing is too overstated, and the extravagant becomes totally acceptable. This year was no exception. Gucci proved that with show stopping embellished gowns, as did Blumarine and Antonio Berardi, who both showcased hyper-sparkly all-over-sequin dresses.  At Proenza Schouler, we saw quilted silk jackets teamed with sequin-embellished skirts, and at Balmain, pearls and crystals adorned jackets and trousers to evoke a luxurious yet effortless look. Oscar de la Renta showed us how to do ‘ladylike’ without any frump or vulgarity. Almost as if in tribute to Blair Waldorf, models strutted down the runway in ribbon headbands and silhouetted cocktail dresses laden with gobstopper jewels fit for a Park Avenue Princess.  

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%6512%%[/mm-hide-text]

Photograph: Vogue UK

Sparkle is carrying over into next season too. Alberta Ferretti, Antonio Berardi, Giles and Louis Vuitton were among those that embellished their clothes once again for their S/S ’13 collections. Other designers went for a new take on the trend, choosing fabrics that produce a more subtle ‘shimmer’. Highlights included shimmering pewter skirts from Viktor & Rolf’s mirror inspired collection, and iridescent pop-colour dresses from Raf Simons’ debut at Dior. Good news for us! I know I’ll certainly be recycling my Christmas sequin blazer next season.

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%6515%%[/mm-hide-text]

Photograph: Vogue UK

But at this season’s shows, it wasn’t all about embellishing clothes. Miuccia embellished everything in sight: at Prada, it wasn’t just suits and shirts that got the sparkle treatment, but bags and shoes too, whilst at Miu Miu, the embellishment was around the eyes. Peter Philips, creative director of Chanel Make-Up, even sent Chanel models down the catwalk wearing Maison Lesage eyebrows, hand stitched with crystals, pearls and beads.

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%6514%%[/mm-hide-text]

Photograph: Vogue UK

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%6517%%[/mm-hide-text]

Photograph: Vogue UK

For those amongst you who feel that adhesive glittering eyebrows may just be a bit too much: draw inspiration from other designers whose takes on the trend are slightly more wearable yet don’t fail to make a statement. Embellished collars were seen at Tory Burch and Marni, a great way to update an everyday look with holiday sparkle. Louis Vuitton saw jackets finished with oversized jewel encrusted buttons, an easy addition to last winter’s coat to bring it into the new season. Lanvin dresses were accessorized with statement jewellery pieces, the fastest way to finish off any day-to-night look. Add a dazzling necklace, replace the oversized day bag with a clutch, and away you go!

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%6516%%[/mm-hide-text]

Photograph: Vogue UK

On second thought, scratch that last bit. It’s Christmas! Why not wear your statement jewels day AND night. You wouldn’t want those baubles showing you up now, would you…?