3rd Week in Fashion

‘Coming Soon To a Woman Near You’

The Most Newsworthy in Fashion and Trends

Fairytale Fashion – in honour of the new Disney film, Maleficent, milliner Alexandra Harper has made a collection of hats in collaboration with the Walt Disney Company. She says, “Maleficent is a true villian in every sense – has fantastic and dramatic style which speaks to the devilish side in all of us.” The Alexandra Harper Millinery for Disney Maleficent collection will be available exclusively from www.alexandraharpermillinery.com from 9 May 2014.

[mm-hide-text]%%IMG_ORIGINAL%%9744%%[/mm-hide-text] 

Supernova Vodianova – Model extraordinaire Natalia Vodianova welcomed her fourth child, Maxim, last Friday. It is her first baby with current boyfriend, the CEO of shoe company Berluti. Vodianova is already the mother to three children: sons Lucas, 12, Viktor, 6, and daughter Neva, 8, and will be back on the runway soon.

Missoni Day – San Francisco has offically declared May 7 as Missoni Day. Margherita Missoni and her mother, Angela, have both been honoured with a Doctor of Humane Letters degree from the Academy of Art University for their work in the fashion industry. 

Sustainable Fashion – At the Rainforest Alliance Gala, Gisele Bundchen hit the green carpet in a hemp gown: this adds to the long list of environmental projects the model works on, such as Ipanema and Sejaa, both of which raise funds for diminishing rainforests. Meanwhile, Claire Danes hit the Bottletop event in New York, where she modelled the award winning GCC brand’s sustainable bag collection. The brand’s founder, Narciso Rodriguez, works with the aim of creating ethical fashion choices.

Rocha Retires – Venerable fashion designer John Rocha annouced his retirement from London Fashion Week. Having been featured on LFW catwalks for 29 years, his Autumn/Winter 2014 collection, debuting last February, has been announced as his last.