Top Five: Summer accessories for men

5th: Espadrilles

This classic rope-soled shoe is the elegant-casual summer footwear for the well-heeled gent. Once the preserve of Pyrenean peasants, espadrilles have grown in popularity over the years, graciously saving us from the unseemly sight of gnarly men’s toes.

4th: Financial Times

Poseurs read poetry, but the true Renaissance Man’s summer reading is definitely the FT. Inform teasing girls that it has by far and a way the best arts section of any newspaper. Comes in fetching pink and looks perfect rolled under the arm.

3rd: Clubmasters

Sunglasses, the most practical accessory of the summer. Wayfarers have unfortunately gone the way of Burberry, but timeless preppy elegance can still be achieved with the Ray-Ban RB3016. Express your individuality with a choice of bright block colours but for eternal style choose tortoise-shell.

2nd: A girlfriend

For the ultimate AMOG (alpha male of group), this much desired accessory immediately has your friends vying for your attention. Perfect for Port Meadows picnics, coffees in Radcliffe Square, and of course the VIP sofas at the Bridge. Comes in all shapes and sizes. The only problem, the cost.

1st: An apple

Nothing says ‘fresh’ like an apple. From Pink Ladies to Granny Smith, this is one accessory that’s sure to have heads bobbing. The one acceptable thing to eat in public, the al fresco apple eater is insouciant but healthy, carefree but considerate.  The best bit? Tossing the core casually over your shoulder.  Keep a penknife on hand for stylish sharing, and remember that it makes a fantastic addition to Pimms. Green is definitely the go-to colour – ‘core blimey!’